Originally from Mexico City, Inaki moved to Vancouver at the age of 11 with his family in search of new challenges. It was while in Vancouver, where he began his athletic career as a swimmer with the Canadian Dolphins Swim Club. Up to his graduation from Vancouver College, Inaki had focused solely on swimming, but after a car accident, he was forced out of the water and onto the road transitioning into the sport of Athletics joining Racewalk West and later the UBC Track and Field Varsity Team.
He graduated with a B.A. in International Relations in May 2011 from the University of British Columbia. As a T-Bird, Inaki went on to represent UBC at 4 NAIA T&F Championships, collecting a silver followed by three consecutive first place titles. While at UBC, Inaki also went on to represent both the university and Canada at two World University Games (FISU) in Belgrade, Serbia and Shenzhen, China, placing 20th and 5th respectively. In his final year at UBC, Inaki was awarded the Bus Philips Award as the 2010 Outstanding Male Athlete of the Year.
To date, Inaki has gone on to represent Canada at multiple Games and Championships around the world. Most recently Inaki fulfilled a lifetime dream of representing Canada in the Olympic Games. This past summer in London, Inaki finished 13th Place overall in the Men’s 20km Race Walk breaking the Canadian Record with a time of 1:20:58.
As of September 2012, Inaki enrolled at the University of Calgary to pursue a degree in the Faculty of Law. For the next three years, his life as an athlete will be complemented by his work in the classroom.
Outside of training, Inaki seeks to share and promote a strong culture of sport with those around him. Also apart from his personal career, Inaki is as much a sports fan as an athlete, as he can be found cheering proudly for Vancouver’s local teams, including the Vancouver Canucks.
Club: Racewalk West
Coaches: Gerry Dragomir and Blair Miller
- Mile Race Walk (track) – 5:46.40
- 5,000m Race Walk (track) – 18:45.64
- 10,000m Race Walk (track) – 40:01.00
- 10km Race Walk (road) – 40:32.00
- 20,000m Race Walk (track) – 1:24:48.00
- 20km Race Walk (road) – 1:20:58 (Canadian Record)
- 2nd Place, Circuito Internacional de Marcha-IAAF RW Challenge, Chihuahua, 2013
- Fred Begley Memorial Trophy (outstanding off-track athlete), Athletics Canada, 2012
- 13th Place, Olympic Games, London, 2012
- 2nd Place, Canadian Olympic Trials, Calgary, 2012
- 13th Place, IAAF World Race Walking Cup, Saransk, 2012
- 8th Place, IAAF RW Challenge, Tiacang, 2012
- 3rd Place, Australian 20km Nat’l Champ./ IAAF Permit RW Challenge, Hobart, 2012
- 1st Place, 5000m Sydney Track Classic, Sydney, Aus. 2012
- 3rd Place, 20km Naumburg International Racewalk, Naumburg, 2011 (Olympic A-Standard)
- 5th Place, 20km World University Games (FISU), Shenzhen, 2011
- 2nd Place, 20km T&F Canadian National Championships, Calgary, 2011
- 4th Place, Australian 20km Nat’l Champ./ IAAF Permit RW Challenge, Hobart, 2011
- Bus Phillips Award (UBC Male Athlete of the Year) 2010
- 5th Place, 20km Commonwealth Games, Delhi, 2010
- 2nd Place, 20km T&F Canadian National Championships, Toronto, 2010
- 44th Place, 20km IAAF RW World Cup, Chihuahua, 2010
- 20th Place, 20km World University Games (FISU), Belgrade, 2009
- 16th Place, 20km Americas Cup of Racewalk, El Salvador, 2009
- 1st Place, 20km T&F Canadian National Championships, Toronto, 2009
- Canadian T & F National Team Member, Current
- Team BC Team Member, Current
Education & Qualifications:
- J.D. Candidate, University of Calgary, 2015 (expected)
- Graduated from the University of British Columbia, Major in International Relations, 2011
- Graduated from Vancouver College High School, 2006
- Olympic Games, Rio de Janeiro, 2016